The motto
dates back to the 1660's. A few years after purchasing the
Barony of Forter and several other properties in Glen Isla,
the 7th Chief of Clan MacThomas, Iain Mor had a version of the
motto carved into a stone lintle above the front door of his
new mansion house at Crandart. At that time the Chief was at
the height of his power and there was jealousy brewing amongst
his neighbours.
The mansion
of Crandart no longer exists. However the stone lintle bearing
the inscription has at some stage been moved across the River
Isla to Balharry near Alyth where it now forms part of a
garden wall.
There is more
information about the background to the motto in "The History
of the Clan MacThomas".